Sunday, May 11, 2008

A WIN @ Lunatic Fringe 6 Hour

Let me set the scene....driving for kms on end with no houses in sight, then drive some more. Upon arriving at the race site, the Coffs guys concurred that this was definately banjo country, no doubt with a nice 'crop' of the whacky tobaccy not far away. Amongst the non-stop laughing, there were concerns that each lap of the course would entail each rider to sample such crops in order to complete a lap and transition. So it was no surprise that a total of 33 riders showed up for the 6 and 12 hour events.

So, a 'win' would indicate that there was some other female competition, however I was the only Solo female. So my competition ended up being the men, where I managed to place 2nd overall (teams and solos). The Coffs guys (2 x mens pairs) cleaned up in the 12 Hour - 1st and 2nd placings sown up.

Due to the lack of competition the pressure was off, which was a really nice feeling for my first race back from injury (and first race in 7 months). I headed out at a pace that I knew I could sustain for the duration. The course was a combination of 3km open motocross track, which had a couple of nasty steep climbs and a brief chance for some air time, with the remainder of the course being fun single track.
With my knee still in repair, I was reluctant to push myself too hard - the last thing I want is setbacks due to my impatience. I was also having a few issues with the rear hub, so at the 3 hour mark I made a conscious decision to stop for an hour. With 2 hours to go I headed back out to finish off the day. With half an hour to go I realised that my legs were still feeling fantastic...I was just sooo surprised, and it was exhilirating !!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had fun at the Loony Fringe. It was a fun track. Me and my friend came in 3rd in the 12hr. We were coming second, but my partner had a knee injury so we had to rest for a bit.