Friday, February 13, 2009

A Couple of Weeks Holiday


Typical Central Victorian riding - Jubber Land, Campbells Creek

Evan and I thought we'd make a road trip of the MTB Nationals and Mt Buller round. After settling the dogs with my mum (much to her stafford's delight), we headed to Canberra for the Nationals. Mt Stromlo gave as good as it gets in the way of weather - hot, dry, sunny and windy. I enjoyed a few mtb rides round some of the 24 hour trails, and didn't enjoy the couple of falls that I had. Mind you, I was one of many that came away from Stromlo with grazes and bruises.

We made a mad dash to Castlemaine for 2 days to enjoy some awesome riding and not-so-awesome 43 degree temperatures. We managed to time the visit with the regular Wednesday Night Ride - some great trails in the pineys followed by a welcomed swim at Golden Point Reservoir.

We were looking forward to escaping the heat of Central Vic as we headed for Mt Buller, however the normally pleasant summer of the high country was abnormally hot also. Evan concentrated on photos while I enjoyed a few laps of the XC course and a leisurely ride to Mt Stirling and back.

A quick visit to Panther Cycles on our way home made the whole trip worth while - my new Cannondale Synapse road bike was waiting for me!! I had to wait till getting back to Coffs to ride it, but what a ride it is. For those who have ridden Coffs roads, you'll know just how rough the bitumen roads are. But I am lost for words in describing how smooth the Synapse makes these rough roads. I now realise that I had every reason to feel like I was riding a jack hammer before, and my whinging and complaining was totally justified!!

It was a nice break away, but it's always nice to come back home - and we realised that we're finally calling Coffs Harbour 'home'.

No comments: