Tuesday, July 29, 2008

BMC 8 Hour...A Solo Women Win

Finally all the cold, early mornings seem worth it. A satisfying win at Yellowmundee.
I had the worst start ever - the last 30 people out 100+ which added 9 minutes to my start lap. My memories of Yellowmundee were of a relatively flat course, but 4 hours in I was strongly agreeing with Gav's statement of it being 'the hilliest flat course ever'. And all those fun technical sections that I used to ride and love, I now viewed as rugged and demanding (both climbs and decents).
The first few laps had me ridged and tense, not wanting to fall off and hurt my knee again. I gradually relaxed a little and began to enjoy the laps, aiming to keep consistency in my lap times. Gav & Evan were a faultless support crew, always ready with my food & drinks and not taking offence to me barking orders at them as I rode by at 25km/h. I managed to keep my food stops to 2, with a total of 6 minutes. I also found a great spot to store my food on the go...rice cakes don't fit well in jersey pockets, but they fit perfectly in your crop top!!! Jokes were made about alternative uses for them such as breast feeding pads, which gives a whole new meaning to the term 'breast feeding'!!!!
And of course my trusty steed, the Scalpel, was faultless. No mechanicals, no flats, no missed food stops - what more could I ask for. And congratulations to Gav, Matt & Evan on their Men's 3's effort. No photos available - Evan was busy riding & supporting me.

No comments: