Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Australasian Police & Emergency Services Games



On 12th October 2008 myself and 3 other employees represented the Rural Fire Services in the XC Mountain Biking in the APES Games. The RFS came away with Gold and Bronze medals.

I had a home course advantage, with the event being held at the technically demanding Pine Creek course. 7km of fun flowing single track, pimped with a few long crossings that would have landed you in the drink if you strayed off the 1 foot wide plank.

Due to my recent return to the bike and regular training, I went into the event pretty tired in the legs. As I summed it up, my legs were as tired in the last lap as they were in the first. However my laps were consistent, I was able to work the technical aspects of the track, and I had a great time riding and chatting with like-minded people.

It was only on my last lap that I started to knock off a couple of competitors - those endurance legs are slowly returning to their former glory. I made a tactical sprint 10m from the finish line, giving me 1st in the Women, and 2nd in the Mens 35 - 39 category. My moment of glory was a moment of embarrassment for my competitor, whose children then chorussed 'You got beaten by a girl, dad!!!'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done, Justine! We're very proud of you!