Friday, October 12, 2012

You Yangs Yowie (66km) 'ride race'

I was recently prompted to update my blog on my recent racing 'to celebrate my achievements' - this being something that I have never done.  A new me and a new approach to me.  

The race started casually for me - meeting Dave from Castlemaine on the start line was a great introduction to the 66km race.  We rode together for the first 15 minutes or so, catching up on the latest.  The remainder of the race was spent by myself either passing, or being passed by, other riders.  They were all pleasant and enjoying their ride, other than one goose that could have taken me out big time on the boardwalk wall ride....if you can't ride the wall, before you place your bike in the middle of the boardwalk check whether someone is already riding on the 45 degree wall !!!!  My bike may be fantastic, but it doesn't defy gravity for long.

The last 30 minutes of flat trails was some back and forth with Lee Schultz - I had the corners nailed, but Lee had the legs.  In the end I was about 45 seconds behind her, finishing in 6th place with 3 hours 45 minutes of ride racing under my belt.  

So what did I learn?  That I had about 2 hours in my legs.  

What achievements can I celebrate?  That I got out of bed, I got to the race, and I finished.

The 60km Double Cross this weekend - another opportunity to catch up with old friends and enjoy some good riding.

No comments: