Saturday, March 14, 2015

Australian National Mountain Bike Championships

My race nerves quickly dissipated  once we'd gotten halfway round the start loop - I was at the back of my age category by this stage after a good start off the gun (very unlike me).  So my race was MY race.  I enjoyed the toughness of the course - the climbs were short, hard climbs and the descents were mostly technical, tight switchbacks.  The fast, flower middle section was so sweet.  3 laps was plenty for me!  Yes, I could have done another one if pushed, and I would have likely caught a minute on 3rd place in front of me, but I was definitely happy when the climbing was completed on my 3rd lap and I knew it was all downhill and flat.  Only one 'off' when a Junior fell off on a drop-off switchback in front of me and I had to quickly make a decision to either ride over the top of her and her bike, or stop mid-switchback and fall off because of the steepness of the corner.  So I gracefully fell, managing to not land on the poor Junior who was still lying on the ground.

I've had a fantastic social few days in Bright with some good riding, good (slow) racing, and after racing I could relax stress-free for the remainder of my time in Bright.  And I was so proud watching my protege (even though she's not mine anymore) Emily Parkes win the Under 23 Australian National Championship title by 0.1 second!  Both Em and myself were teary as we hugged and celebrated her win.  Em has worked so hard over the last 4 years, and I get great pleasure in seeing her grow in the sport and herself.

Finished the race - thanks Hel for the photo

No comments: