Monday, November 12, 2012

A Week On Holidays

My brother Gav has come to visit for my week on holidays and my week of riding.  We started with a casual Beach Road 2.5 hour ride on Saturday, with good friend Dave.  

On Sunday we started our 5 days of riding in Mansfield.  The dogs were (sadly) dropped at dog kennels on the way.  Mansfield Holiday Park didn't disappoint with the accommodation and beautiful setting, and the weather was perfect.
The outlook from our cabin - Gav getting ready for Jamieson ride

Jamieson general store
Our first ride was to Jamieson - 70km 2.5 hours and 850m elevation on undulating, quiet roads.  We were kept entertained on our return journey with cars that had participated in the Targa Mt Buller Hill Climb weekend.  The late afternoon was spent sitting on the deck with a good book, then a couple of episodes of 'Allo 'Allo.
On the way to Whitfield - Gav with a Movember moustache and me with a mouthful of food
Second ride, after nearly 12 hours sleep for me, was to Whitfield and back - 128km just over 5 hours and 1800m elevation.  The sun shone beautifully but the wind was not kind - head wind and cross wind for a good part of the ride.  My legs held up really well, considering I haven't ridden that far for 2 years.  I was slow but Gav was patient.  The locals in Whitfield were a great laugh and very friendly - a highlight of the ride.  As much as I enjoyed the ride, I was looking forward to getting back to the cabin, and giving my bottom a break from the saddle.

Tomorrow a shorter 2 - 3 hours for me, and Gav is planning to do a couple more hours than me.  

No comments: