Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Quick Update From Creswick

Well, I'm back once again at Creswick for uni.  Thanks to my super mum for living at my house for 2 weeks and looking after the babies while I'm at uni.  

My final subject - YAY!!  And of course, in true Dr Kevin Tolhurst form, it is nothing but intense.  But I guess we got to burn stuff today, so that's always fun.  A humorous thing happened during our burning experiments - the DSE group had a doozy of a burn going (as one would expect) which ended up in a firebrand being caught in a convection current, rising 4 feet above the fire and gently heading our direction, where it fell slowly into our already extinguished burn experiment !!  A perfectly executed example of a backburn performing its role in a bushfire.  A good laugh was had by all.  

I've only had 2 opportunities for rides - one by myself on Monday morning before my first lecture, and one this afternoon with Shauna.  And although the weather has been less than desirable, the sun came out for most of our ride this afternoon - just in time to get a piccy of Shauna in the sun after the final climb (and she certainly does look happy to have that climb behind her, after tackling a quad injury that was screaming at her the entire climb).  I had no excuse for going slow - just unfit and fat.  

I felt relaxed and content after the ride - not because it tired me out, but being out on the bike is such a pleasure and puts me in such a good, healthy space.  After dinner at pub, this enabled me to do a few good hours tonight of my previous subject's final assignment.  

I'm hanging out for 5 weeks time - all assignments finalised, only a year long project to complete at work - when I can ride all I want and get back into racing again.  National XC Series, Endurance, here I come.  Well, soon....


No comments: