Sunday, January 13, 2013

And here I was thinking there were fires in NSW...

But my first ride back in the Blue Mountains and it bucketed down !!!

Gav and I headed out for a Marge's and Elizabeth's Lookout mtb ride, just like old times.  I guess you could say, back to where it all began.  We were chatting and sharing stories, while we shared the trails.  Gav handled a 'controlled' slide very well, possibly with a bit more arse than class, but still made it look good and stayed upright.  It was great to be out and about on old and new trails, comparing sections of old trail and whether it had held together or changed much over the past 20 years.  It was awesome.  

Not far into the trails and it started to rain - we were actually thankful for the cool feel of the rain.  But then it just got heavier.  Gav took a new easy line on an old descent - I took the old line that has had some modifications in recent times.  But in the wet I just didn't have it together and fell off, laughing hard.  It's not the first time that section has gotten the better of me, but it was so much fun being back there.

Gav and I went our separate ways after the descent and we each rode home in the pooring rain.  But what a great hour of riding, on trails that are the basis of my mountain biking and my skills.  There are many a sandstone rock on those trails that took skin and left bruises - but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Returned drenched and grotty

The dogs found their spots at mum's place

No comments: