Monday, January 21, 2013

Mt Buller National Round - some photos and some thoughts

What a weekend...the highs, the lows, the hurts, the smiles, the friends, and the people that are now friends.

None of the people at Mt Buller that I interacted with knew any of the difficulties I was facing that weekend, so I was surprised to experience friendliness in its purist form.  My return to racing after 2 years away was hard - the stresses associated with racing, the pressure on myself, the preparation, the lack of training.  Not to mention the personal turmoil of the past year.  But I woke up Monday morning and realised I wouldn't change a thing.  I had to do it all at some point, and I'm stronger for it.  

During the weekend I found things - treasures you might say - some that were there all along, part of me but hidden, others that are new to me.  And it all came about thanks to my riding - that in itself is a treasure that my brother shared with me 20 years ago, and we're still sharing together.  

It was hard trying to concentrate at work today.  Work was just so boring and hard work compared to my fun weekend.  I was seeing things differently whilst driving to work, and it wasn't just the dense smoke in the air from the Gippy fires !!!  

Some photos of me racing below - I'm tracking down the high resolution ones and will post them soon (thanks to Russ Baker).  I'm loving the pink Panther Cycles jersey - it stands out so well in the bush !!


XCP climb up Corn Hill (ignore the bruise on my leg from practice lap) - certainly hurting but still looking good (& happy for the young gun behind to pass me)

XCO - starting the climb

XCO - starting the climb - I didn't so much have a smile by the top!!!

No comments: