Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Journey

My journey began over 6 months ago - it's just that I couldn't really enjoy the ride to start with.  

Now I've hit big chain ring and am way down the cluster, and I'm embracing every bump, boulder, climb, drop-off and switch-back.  I'm choosing the 'A-line' (the hard way) rather than the chicken shoot/'B-line' (easy way), and cutting my own trails.  I'm feeling strong enough in my head and heart to deal with aspects and happenings of the past, so that I can make my future and enjoy it.  I know there are a lot of riding analogy, but if you're reading this blog then you'll know how much bikes area a part of my life.

My journey this week alone has been a ride and a half.  Well, technically not a lot of riding as such, but the emotional journey has been huge, with my outlet being actual riding.

I saw a very good friend of mine after many years.  It was great to see him looking so well and healthy in mind and body.  It will be some time before I see him again, but that doesn't stop us sharing our daily lives through letters.  And as he so cleverly put it, I have a 'captive audience' whilst he is reading my letters !!!  Very clever.

I spent some more quality time with my mum.  She really is amazing.  And especially amazing as she is looking after my dogs for 5 weeks so I can do 2 races and be at uni for 2 weeks.

I finally went though my chest of draws that was still at mum's place.  I had never made time for this job, and until now I didn't realise that I wasn't ever ready to go through it either.  Old stuff, photos, letters, special jewellery, stuffed toys, handbags (yes, I used to own handbags when I was a girl and worked in an respectable bank job!!).  A very emotional couple of hours while I shared some notes that I had written 20 or so years ago. I chose the hard road tacking that chest of draws, but I feel better and stronger for it.

Amongst all the hard stuff was some joy in picking up my new Cannondale Scalpel and making modifications to my 100mm Scalpel.  Between Gav and myself we spent a day getting both bikes set up perfectly.  Can't wait to take it for a spin tomorrow on the trails of Mt Buller.

And that brings me to my 'fun' 4 days of race prep and racing.  More to follow once I do a practice lap tomorrow, but in the mean time the photo tells my Mt Buller story - Outback, Scalpels, and Snowgums.  Life is good.  Only thing missing is the babies, and missing them I certainly am.  The 9 hour drive was very lonely without the babies in the back seat.



No comments: